Let’s get real y’all.
So I wanted to describe my top 5 methods that help me with distractions and maybe it can give you some ideas and help you jump-start that creative -wannabe that is currently a couch potato in your head.
- Keep your work area clutter free (this includes the files in your computer)–
- This allows for you to focus on the task at hand instead of endless searching in frustration for that paper you wrote your last notes on or that file you worked on last month.
- Organize & Prioritize
- Make a to do list & hang it in plain site (it is a good feeling of accomplishment and a boost to the motivation ego to physically see things crossed off)
- As you start crossing things off this list redo/refresh it to unclutter it
- Keep a daily planner & train yourself to look at it (better healthy happier habits are not made over night, keep at it
- Simplify the above 2 bullet points
- Over the years I have learned through a try-and-fail-and-try-again process that the simplification of things is the best way to go
- I write everything down, so I can just get it out of my head and think clearly, but I always go through and prune my lists and notes
- Stay hydrated
- Keep those creative thoughts well lubricated and it’s easier to stay on task.
- Sounds simple but sometimes I get so caught up in my work that I forget the simplest things… which leads me into the next item…
- Take a break, rest your eyes, get up, and stretch
- Sometimes it’s not an automatic thought when you are on a creative roll but trust me a simple body and eye readjustment will allow for better focus and productivity in the long run.
- After refreshing make sure you go back to what you were doing to stay on task.
You can read about my creative process here. http://thinkkings.wordpress.com/2014/09/25/go-forth-and-create/
It’s a roller coaster folks. Just remember, the journey wouldn’t be as fun if there weren’t any bumps in the road.
Here are just a few rest reminder apps I found in the App Store that might be helpful. I use Time Out Free, it’s customizable and works great.